Friday, June 1, 2012

Divine Appointments


“Blessed are those who listen to Me, watching daily at my doors,waiting at my doorway. For those who find me, find life and receive favor from the LORD.” (Proverbs 8:34-35)

Today I felt the blessing, favor and love of the Lord over my life. I was reminded today that he orchestrates my steps and that He is divinely protecting me-without me fully realizing it.

During a recent breakfast meeting I’d had with an incredible volunteer couple from our church, I started to feel uncomfortable and a bit of burning and itching. I was hoping it was just due to the new sunscreen I’d used for the first time that am. I ignored it, trying to focus on the conversation at hand, but the feeling did not go away. After a little bit my arms got itchy, and, I could not resist scratching. I looked down and there were red and white blotches all over my skin. The couple I was meeting with asked if I was feeling ok, to which I responded “Is my face kind of red?” They said yes, and so were my chest and arms. It was obvious I was having SOME kind of allergic to something; I just didn’t know what. They then asked a very unusual question which was “Are you allergic to Niacin?” My first response was an immediate “No” as to be quite honest I didn’t know what Niacin was or if I was taking it. They asked if my health drink had Niacin in it and I shared it couldn’t be that as I’d been drinking this for months and never had a reaction. I then went to the next logical things-either the Sweet and Low I’d used in my coffee, or my new sunscreen. Eventually it went away and I haven’t thought anything of it since.

This morning I began to experience the same sensation as before, but much more severely.  I tried to keep focused on working, but, the burning was moving at a frightening speed and pain level throughout my entire body was pretty bad. After a few minutes of feeling like my entire body was on fire I went downstairs to ask my husband if I looked funny. He said I looked red, and gave me two Bendaryl right away.  To pass the time but be near someone else, I began to open the mail. FINALLY, after a year of frustration and attempts at getting our health care worked out, I had the response for details of our recently approved insurance in my hands!

I cheered in excitement but began to realize my level of discomfort was starting to make me nervous. I went upstairs to check in the mirror and realized my ENTIRE body was bright red, blotchy, and tingling with a vengeance that made me scared. I started to notice a shortness of breath that was settling in, and, started to panic about whether my throat was closing in on me.  I yelled down to John that we were going to the hospital. Once in the car I began to google “allergic reaction to Niacin” based off of my previous conversation with Frank and Char. This is what I found:

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Niacin:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); black, tarry, or bloody stools; changes in vision (eg, cloudy or blurred vision); fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; flu-like symptoms

I realized right then that the Lord was directing my very footsteps, and, that I was indeed having all of the obvious symptoms of an allergic reaction to Niacin. 
When I got home, however, I realized a few things:
  •  God knew, before I did, that something like this was going to happen
  • ·God set up the timing of my first reaction and gave the Spencers the insight to ask as to whether I was allergic to Niacin (of all the things!)
  • God orchestrated the very DAY and TIME I’d receive my medical information  
  • God used this incident to get me to stop using the products/vitamins that I was allergic to (and yes, they were the ones that had Niacin in them)
 He showed me, yet again, that he was watching over me.This was a great reminder that often he is working behind the scenes, orchestrating the details, without us even realizing it is Him. We serve such an amazing God, I am so thankful today (even if I had to turn in my “I’m not allergic to anything” card!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm very glad you are okay! So glad God watches out for us.

    ReplyDelete