Thursday, May 3, 2012

Life Rhythms

I just read a blog by a great writer Alicia Britt Chole in which this basic statement challenged everything about the way I’ve been living my day to day life as of recently. She shared these thoughts in her blog http://blog.truthportraits.com/2010/03/on-multi-tasking-and-silence.html

"For years I've been intentionally simplifying, living less thickly, with fewer overlapping responsibilities...it helps build up a margin of strength to call upon in full seasons like this one. As a discipline, over the years I have been choosing to multi-task less."

Oh how counter cultural-and lovely-this concept sounds!!!  This seems so inviting, yet, it’s not something I’ve felt I “could” choose for myself.  I often feel like I’m spinning from one thing to the next, yet when I read this statement I had to ask myself if I am the one responsible for wiring MYSELF to live this way. If I am tired, burned out, or frustrated, am I, not my circumstances or life stage- the one responsible for this???  The second question, which I haven’t dug into yet, is if this “busyness” is a mask to cover a lack of faith on my part? When I try to take care of  EVERY THING (emphasis on the two words) with my own strength, is this an indicator of me not trusting for anything to be “left over” and given into the hands of a far more capable God?

I am not a sociologist, but I am intrigued and fascinated by the way people around the world can live and structure their lives so differently from one another. It seems common to find entire cultural groups of people who can go from one extreme to the next. Some entire people groups are frazzled beyond repair, and others seem to have found a great way to live in what I call the “rhythm” of their life with peace and calm. I recall a great woman of God saying that our busyness was really “ the spirit of the age.” As we talked more about this she explained that it’s our spiritual enemy, the Devil, who wants to keep us busy- so distracted that we won’t notice the time in which we live, the more important things which are before us. We forget the scope of eternity and the scope of what really matters in this lifetime. The “important stuff” gets hidden behind all of the “small” stuff that keeps us so busy-“the spirit of the age.”

My theory is that every family, regardless of what its individual make up is, has an ability to create its own “rhythm.”  This rhythm, when it’s good, means things “feel” good in the home. The important pieces are in place, the house is in order spiritually, emotionally, physically, mentally and financially (even if there is not “enough” money what is there is still being ordered, considered, and accounted for in God’s ways). As one who has been first a non-believer, and later a believer, I am convinced this harmonious “rhythm” can exist for every individual, every family. I am most convinced that it’s nearly impossible to achieve this without the help of God.   

With God’s help today I chose to prioritize myself, to order my life around these basic priorities, in this order:
·        
I am a child of God
….I chose to spend time with Him before any other earthly distraction takes it away from me. I chose to be still, to seek his Word, to seek Him, first.
·        
I am a wife
….I chose to take time to love my husband, to express love and encouragement towards my husband, and to be refreshed and a great partner to him.
·        
I am a mom
…I chose to be filled with the Spirit of God, to have and express love and companionship with my husband for my child to see . I do this because I know that these things will also encourage and strengthen my child. I chose to stop what I am doing throughout my day to simply focus on my child, to give him my attention, adoration and my non- distracted attention. I chose not to become frustrated when these opportunities arise at times that are not “convenient” for me...they never are.
·        
I am a leader….
I chose as a spiritual leader to say “no” to taking on too much. I do this to keep my life  in spiritual health and order. I do this so when the time to truly lead presents itself I can do so with the guidance and help of the Holy Spirit –and not my own wisdom and strength (which is never right or enough).  I chose not to try to plan and prepare to meet every need, and do everything right “now.” I do this because I trust that this is God’s church we lead, not our own, and I have a core belief that he can do things with far more excellence, and sufficiency, than I ever could.  I chose to remember that my self proclaimed“emergencies” of the “urgent” are not always so urgent to God.
·        
I am a part of the body of Christ-locally and globally…
I chose to let the overflow from the above things be a blessing and an encouragement to those around me. I chose to allow the overflow of my heart-my words, my actions, my attitude-to come out of a place of strength, security and faith in a good loving God. I chose to take time to understand the truths of His word and to know Him in such a way that the fruits of the Spirit overflow from me, touching the lives of those around me.



No comments:

Post a Comment